Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Potty Training...IN PROGRESS...


I never wanted to be that parent who let their child run wild in a store, screaming, crying, and making messes. I only have limited control of those things, so eventually I know I will be that parent whether I want to or not. I didn't want a pacifier in my baby's mouth all the time, but...well it happens. I wanted to be a diaper-free zone when my kid was 2, but some things are just not up to me.


We tried "pick out your own potty, and make it a special thing," but he got bored with it (not unlike with other "toys"). So, we tried "Spend 3 days naked from the waist down, so they see what's going on," but that just left a lot of messes to clean, especially after the dog decided it was some kind of "mark your territory" game. Try explaining why the dog gets smacked, yelled at, and thrown outside for doing it, without making the kid really confused about the whole thing! Plus, he got sick and then I did, and we passed it around for weeks. Maybe the "bare butt" approach will be more successful in the summer...


Anyway, we have tried rewards (big ones for success, little snacks for trying) and he seemed to like those for a while, but he is just not really interested in the potty very much. We thought for a while that it was starting to take; he asked to go a few times a day, but never actually did anything. We soon discovered that he just wanted us to read Curious George (the book we had in the bathroom to read while we waited). When we took Curious George into the living room, all interest in the potty ceased.


I'm stumped. Any suggestions on peaking a kid's interest or making your kid want to try?

No comments: